Dozens Suffer Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Church

Photo by iStrfry , Marcus on Unsplash

( – NBC News reported that dozens of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints suffered carbon monoxide poisoning after attending service at a meetinghouse in Monroe, Utah. In its statement, the Church noted that the building’s heating system malfunctioned, causing the members of the church to fall ill.

While at least 54 members showed symptoms that day, only 49 required treatment. It was reported that the Church’s building would be closed off until the issue could be fixed. In its statement, the church noted that they were praying for the swift recovery of everyone affected and that they were working to provide support to those affected.

While the Church did not openly provide a lot of details about the incident, it is clear that the incident resulted in 22 people needing to be hospitalized immediately after the service. The first person to exhibit symptoms was a 4-year-old girl who started having breathing problems. She was soon followed by another man who fell sick, while a third person stated that they experienced a headache as they were leaving the service.

This resulted in the local fire department being called, which confirmed the carbon monoxide leak and led to the building being evacuated.

Due to the lack of available ambulances to transport all of the patients, the Sheriff’s office assisted in the transportation of the people exhibiting symptoms. Units from other nearby counties were also called in to assist.

It is not yet clear how long it will take for the building to be restored and for it to start operating again.

Copyright 2024,