Person From Lab Monkey Crash Site Says She’s Not Sick

Person at Lab Monkey Crash Site Experiences Symptoms of Illness

( – Being a good Samaritan is something that comes naturally to many people. When Michelle Fallon witnessed an accident involving a dump truck and another vehicle hauling animal crates, she stopped to offer help. She never imagined her good deed could put her health at risk.

The Accident

A trailer carrying cynomolgus macaque monkeys for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) crashed in Pennsylvania on Route 54 near I-80 on January 21. The vehicle was headed to an unnamed CDC lab somewhere in the midwest. The CDC did not release any further details on the animals.

In total, there were 100 monkeys on the trailer, but three escaped during the commotion. It took authorities until late on January 22 to account for all of them. Officials immediately euthanized the escaped primates without explaining why they did this. A CDC spokesperson said the primates died humanely.

The Good Samaritan’s Health Scare

Reports are currently saying that Fallon is merely taking precautionary measures and that she hasn’t experienced any symptoms connected to the accident. However, initial accounts from news outlets and her social media posts generated their fair share of buzz over the past few days.

While none of the occupants of either vehicle involved suffered any severe injuries, Michelle Fallon, who pulled over to check on the crash victims, reportedly experienced a health scare. Fallon said she came close to the monkeys and touched their crates. She also came into contact with feces around the scene of the accident.

The vehicle had no markings or signs warning of a biohazard, but a CDC representative on the scene warned Fallon to watch for symptoms and to see her doctor. The representative also said the CDC and Pennsylvania Department of Health would be contacting her.

News outlets initially claimed Fallon began coughing and developed an eye infection the day after the accident. She also uploaded a now-deleted Facebook post, detailing the incident.

On January 23, she reportedly sought medical care at Geisinger Medical Center, where they called in infectious disease specialists. Fallon received the first part of the rabies shot series and a prescription for an antiviral drug primarily used to treat herpes.

Fallon also got a letter from Emily Pieracci, Zoonoses Team Lead at CDC. It was vague, saying the monkeys came from Mauritius and warned of potential health issues because humans and primates often carry the same diseases.

Pieracci alerted her to seek immediate medical care if she had direct contact with a monkey. She also said the CDC would quarantine the surviving monkeys and report any developing health hazards to the Department of Health in Pennsylvania.

On January 26, Fallon spoke to journalists and appeared to contradict previous reports, saying that she’s not sick and simply went to the doctor as a precaution. She also said that she found out she was at a party recently with people who had COVID-19. “It was the worst day of my life,” she said.

Many questions remain about this incident that neither authorities nor the CDC letter explain. For instance, what were these monkeys carrying that required authorities to euthanize them so quickly? And will the CDC release more information about the monkeys to clarify where they were going and why?

Copyright 2022,