Man Allegedly Threatened Candidate Vivek Ramaswamy

Gage Skidmore from Surprise, AZ, United States of America, CC BY-SA 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

( – On Monday, December 11, the Department of Justice announced the arrest of a man from New Hampshire who had allegedly sent threatening text messages to GOP presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy and others who attended his campaign event.

Tyler Anderson was charged for having transmitted in interstate commerce a threat to injure the person of another. He had his first appearance in federal court on Monday, and a detention hearing was expected to take place on Thursday.

The charging documents say that the 30-year-old received a message from Ramaswamy’s campaign informing him about a plant political event in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. In response to the message on Dec. 8, Anderson allegedly wrote a deadly threat against Ramaswamy and threatened in another message to kill everyone who attended the rally.

On Monday afternoon when asked about the news, Ramaswamy told reporters that he was very grateful to law enforcement for their quick response following the incident and the swift actions that they took. He added that he was grateful for the team surrounding them and for their great efforts to keep everyone safe. He added that between the former military members, retired police officers, and everyone else involved in the case he felt very secure in their current position.

Ramaswamy campaign spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin highlighted in a statement that following the report of the arrest the security team had collaborated closely with the state police in New Hampshire and that they stood back allowing the investigators to find the person responsible and see what their motives were.

If Anderson is convicted on these charges he could face up to five years in prison, as well as having to pay a $250,000 fine and have to go through three years of supervised release.

On Monday, Ramaswamy ended up hosting the event at the Roundabout Diner in Portsmouth.

Copyright 2023,